PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUILD ANYTHING!
A CITY PERMIT IS NEEDED WHEN:
Any structure will be built on your property.
This includes but is not limited to: fences, sidewalks, storage sheds, decks, additions to your house, garages and manufactured homes.
If you intend to connect to the city water or sewer line, under no circumstances are residents allowed to connect to City service lines without a permit and inspection.
If you are unsure, please check with the City Auditor for information. All building permits require a survey of your property and City Commission approval before you are allowed to build.CITY Fee:
$25A COUNTY BUILDING PERMIT IS NEEDED FOR:
- A building permit is required when an individual intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure. This includes but is not limited to:
- Any structural modifications
- Roofing, siding, and replacement of windows
- Installation of modular and manufactured homes
- Garages and storage buildings, including pole barns
- Temporary housing unit or temporary office trailer
- Communications tower
- Temporary MET or wind tower
WORK EXEMPT FROM A BUILDING PERMIT
Please contact the Building Division if you are unsure if your project requires a permit or not. The following is exempt from a building permit:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet
- Fences not over 8.5 feet high
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge
- Sidewalks and driveways
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work
- Swings and other playground equipment
BASIC FEES FOR COUNTY PERMITS:
- Minimum fee is $75
- Commercial Project Plan Review Fee: Additional 25% of the Building Permit Fee for projects over $99,999. Maximum Fee Capped at $5000
- Or $4.00 per $1000 in value to $5,000,000.00.
- $1.00 per $1,000 in value above $5,000,000.00.
- Temporary Certificate of Occupancy: $75 Residential or $150 Commercial
- After Hours Inspection Fees: $75 per hour (two hour minimum)
- Expired Permit Re-instatement fee: $75
- Special Inspection Fee: $75
- Plan Review Fee after the second incorrect submittal: $75 per hour
CITY Excavation - Water & Sewer Fees:
1. Excavation Permit $500
2. Street Cut fee $500
3. Water Tap Fee: $500 1 inch or less - $750 over 1 inch
4. Sewer Tap Fee: $750
The property owner is responsible to hire a contractor to repair the street back to City standards which requires inspection and approval from the City Engineer.Williams County Website
Williams County ND Official Website
Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
Building Guidelines6 documents
Water-Sewer Connection Agreement form